Unlike in Europe, the new world has a tradition of the largest city in the state not being a capital. For instance, while Minneapolis is the largest city in Minnesota, its twin city of St. Paul is the capital. Still, there’s no mistake in assuming that Minneapolis is far more famous of the two.
Speaking of which, what is Minneapolis known for exactly?
- Its amazing landmarks?
- Incredible cuisine?
- Opportunities for having a great time?
Yes! All of these things!
Now, having a great time has a different meaning for everyone. For instance, while you could intend to go rollerblading in Minneapolis, the truth is that most people will have more mundane plans when visiting the place. They’ll want to taste the local food, sample the local beverages, go out, and go sightseeing. So, here’s our brief list of how and where to do all those things.
What food is Minneapolis known for?
Due to the nature of original settling and immigration to Minneapolis, this is one of the rare spots in the US where you can enjoy an authentic Scandinavian cuisine.
- Juicy Lucy: This is the Minnesotan variation of a cheeseburger. Instead of placing the cheese on top of the patty, it is stuffed inside a burger, giving it a molten, gooey, cheesy center.
- Lefse: This traditional Norwegian flatbread can be found in many locations across the USA, but nowhere is it as authentic as in Minneapolis.
- Wild rice soup: This is a classic Upper Midwestern dish, which includes rice, vegetable, broth, and cream or milk. It’s protein-rich, and when made right, it can be incredibly delicious.
With all of this in mind, visiting Minneapolis can become a foodie’s tour.
Moreover, Minneapolis is also renowned for its craft beers and distilleries. This means you can employ all your senses and enjoy this trip fully.
Which venues are the most relevant to the Minneapolis nightlife?
Minneapolis is a metropolis with a vibrant nightlife. Now, the experience that you get depends on your choice of venue you choose, and several different locations could give you the best authentic experience that Minneapolis nightlife has to offer.
- First Avenue: You’ll unlikely find a spot in all of Minneapolis with such an iconic music history. Everything from the atmosphere to the architecture makes this spot unique.
- The Exchange: The Exchange nightclub is one of the must-visit locations for anyone who loves going out and plans to visit Minneapolis.
- Ground Zero: This is the spot you visit if you’re interested in alternative culture and late-night entertainment. So, if you’re looking for something beyond traditional operation hours, look no further.
You could also visit so many bars for a quieter night out. It just comes down to the experience that you’ve had in mind.
While there, it would be a shame not to visit some of the sports bars in Minneapolis. Make no mistake, this is a sports-obsessed state, and visiting a sports bar on a game night is a unique experience, regardless of whether you’re a sports fan.
Where can you enjoy great live music in Minneapolis?
Night clubs are not for everyone. If your primary interest in going out is the music and not mingling or dancing, you might have a better time at one of Minneapolis’s many live music venues. Some of the best/most popular ones are:
- Dakota Jazz Club: Regarding world-class jazz performance, this spot is just second to none. It can boast incredible sound quality and acoustics, and the ambiance is often described as providing an intimate concert experience.
- The Cabooze: Aside from having a great club atmosphere and an amazing repertoire, the Cabooze also has an amazing outdoor patio and beer garden. These alone are enough to set it apart from the competition.
- Fine Line Music Café: While most of these live music venues are focused on one field of music or another, Fine Line Music Café has incredibly versatile music programming. It’s also located downtown, which makes the location quite convenient.
- Icehouse: Besides just music, this is also a great spot to enjoy craft cocktails and engage in a unique culinary experience. In other words, you get some pleasure from all your senses.
The key thing to remember when planning to visit one such venue is that you should check out the program and do some research. This way, you can prepare (dress) accordingly and enjoy your night to the fullest.
Which landmarks are worth visiting the most while in Minneapolis?
While in Minneapolis, there are so many great places that you’ll want to visit.
- Minneapolis Sculpture Garden: This venue allows you to enjoy outdoor art in a park-like setting. How many venues can make a similar offer?
- Minneapolis Institute of Art: Aside from a regular extensive art collection, this place offers special exhibitions every now and then. If you’re lucky enough to visit Minneapolis on one of these occasions, you should seize the opportunity.
- Minnehaha Park: This place has some of the most beautiful picnic areas in the entire city. So, if you’re planning a day out, it’s definitely a spot worth visiting.
- Stone Arch Bridge: If you want to take impressive photos for your social media, look no further than the stone arch bridge. This architectural marvel is definitely an incredible photography opportunity.
- Mill City Museum: If you want to learn something about agriculture, industry, and life in the city in the past, in general, you cannot afford to miss the Mill City Museum.
Remember that the list of places worth visiting in Minneapolis goes on; however, you don’t have to base your itinerary on these notable landmarks. Aimlessly wandering around the city will also give you plenty of sightseeing opportunities. It’s also worth pointing out that the crime rate in Minneapolis is lower than in other major cities of the same size.
With so much to see and so many places to visit, it might be a good idea to make a list. This way, you’ll have the best shot at sampling as much as possible. Simply put, Minneapolis has too much to offer for just one visit.