Here are 6 highly effective tips to help you relax and get a great night’s sleep
They say that time heals all – give yourself a little time to decompress from the stresses of the day and simply relax before getting under the covers. This is especially important if you have had a busy or stressful day. This doesn’t mean transforming your home into an oasis of absolute calm and quiet, there are some small changes that you can make that will help you achieve a calm mental state, relax and slowly transition from the brightness and pressures of the day to a restful night.
1. Music – it soothes the savage beast – and it can certainly help you to relax. Give the stressful experience of watching the nightly news a miss and build a playlist of your favorite tunes. Classical music has been proven to contribute to lowering stress levels – and keeping your blood pressure at manageable levels. But the key is to find music that appeals to your unique tastes – and acts as a mood booster. There are also sleep casts that feature music and sounds that have been specially formulated to help you rest – check out the selection on the Headspace app.
2. Delight in the dimness. Reach for the candles or hit up that dimmer switch, or even consider changing to lower-wattage bulbs. A lower light level can be far more relaxing than standard bright overhead lights. Lower light intensity will also help keep your natural circadian rhythm in sync.
3. Stay off the coffee. Or any carbonated beverage for that matter in the hours prior to heading to bed. Your actions during the course of the day will have a direct influence on your ability to enjoy a restful evening and a rewarding and great night’s sleep. Try and get some physical exercise earlier in the day and stay away from caffeine-laden sodas, coffee, and tea in the afternoon. Skip that late-night alcoholic beverage and avoid spicy foods or foods that may cause stomach upsets. Every little bit helps.
4. Bask in the sun. Try and get outdoors to feel the natural sunlight on your skin during the course of the day. You need sunlight in order to ensure that your circadian rhythm doesn’t get out of whack.
5. Leave work at work. After dinner it’s time to relax, so avoid responding to emails or reviewing documents. 2018 Research conducted by Virginia Tech revealed that even if you anticipate reviewing emails in the evening you are going to elevate your stress and anxiety levels. Each and every mail will require a decision of some sort – it puts your mind into overdrive – and steals the time you require to unwind in the company of family and friends, or reduces your precious ‘alone time’. The study recommended practicing mindfulness in order to elevate levels of calm and help you ‘be in the moment,’ whether that is alone, with family, or in an active social setting.
6. Get comfy. Poor-quality sleep is very often the result of a poor-quality mattress. Many mattresses start out great, but as the years go by wear and tear starts to take its toll. Support is not quite good enough and a night’s sleep becomes an exercise in discomfort. Consumers need to look at purchasing a new mattress every 8-10 years. This great analysis of Beautyrest’s feature choices will help you make the right decision when it comes to choosing a mattress that meets your unique requirements.